Friday, May 25, 2012

I'm baaaaaaack!

OK - so in the past week or so I've had to wrestle with Blogger to get my log in information back because it's been so long.... and when I was able to log in, I realized just how long it's been since I've blogged.  My last post was around Christmas in 2010.  Whoa.  In that time frame, I was in the midst of selling my townhouse and Stefan & I were buying a new house.  To say the least, it ended up being a very stressful sale and purchase transaction.  The entire move was very hard, and the whole process left me scarred for a little while... ha :)  Needless to say, blogging took a back seat and our world turned into one weekend project after another.  I'm not saying that the weekend projects have stopped... but I've been cooking a lot since the holidays and I realized how disappointed I was that I wasn't sharing some of the recipes.

Another trigger that brought me back into blogging is that my Mom was recently diagnosed as Celiac.  (Hi Mom, I know you're reading!!)  Poor Mom had a rough winter... back in March she started to get violently sick and spent some time in the hospital.  The doctors were unable to figure out what was causing her to be so sick... it was extremely frustrating.  They tested her for everything under the sun and never once considered that she could be Celiac, since her blood tests for Celiac Disease antibodies were coming back negative.  Once she started a strict gluten free diet, she started to get better... and now, 4 weeks later, she's feeling like her old self again.  Probably even better than her old self... and I couldn't be happier.  So part of what brought me back here is that I know Mom's reading, she likes my cooking ideas, and I want my 5 years of gluten free survival experience to help her and others like us.  You realize really quickly that gluten free cooking is not that hard - you need to use mostly fresh ingredients and there are occasionally some swap outs.  You also need to find stores and brands of prepared foods that you can trust.  But I've done all of that, and I've never once felt deprived in my eating.

So that's where I've been and where I'm going.  I hope that you'll follow along and take some of my ideas into your own kitchen.  Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Ironically I met your lovely mom at shoprite in Brick last week in the front of the gf section. We must have chatted an hour! I have just started the SAME tests she went through. I'm so glad I met her and got some tips. She told me you could help people like us who are just starting on a gf way if eating. It's frustrating baking desserts and making Mac and cheese for the family. Ugh. Help. Any tip are a greatly appreciated. Donna from brick

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, I am always reading!! It was a rough time but I was lucky to have you right there to help me cope. We are so lucky to have such a strong family. You knew I was Celiac before the doctors (smart son). Your GF survival packages were wonderful and so helpful and all of your encouragement and GF knowledge has helped me adjust and realize this is not so bad. I am feeling great. Thank you for being there for me and all of your love and support and GF recipes too! I am a very lucky Mom. xxx

    ReplyDelete